“Taste good, but not always good for you.”
Going back to slavery, soul food has been a meal as described by the African American community. There was limited amounts during the time period, and we had to make due with what we had at that time. So we came together with our scraps during these harsh times to make soul food. And still to this day we consume meals as a community, but there is a problem with these meals. As amazing as it may seem, the food has lead to so many health problems throughout the community. So much so, that there has to be a shift in how we care for ourselves because our lives are cut short due to illness from the food.
Now, in today’s society, we still eat soul food, but so many of us are switching over to food for the soul. Meaning, there is no dish that Black people in America eat that is a traditional dish from another foreign country like Chinese, Italian, or Greek. Since we were slaves and our traditions were lost, we had to make due with the food from slave masters in America. Yet our spin is adding more to the food that tends to be unhealthy: more salt, more pepper, more sugar, more oils, more fat. Flavors have to be taken back now that we are more aware because these extra ingredients lead to more debilitating sicknesses.
nourishment for our bodies
Foods that are rich in the nutrients that we should be eating for our health are as follows:
- These are the grains that contain endosperm, bran, and germ that are vital to the human body for lower risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and stroke.
- This is an angiosperm flowering plant that is formed from the ovary when flowering.
- A savory meal that is good for the human body where it provides vitamins, dietary fibers, and minerals.
- Sweet Potato
- A clear, transparent chemical that is vital to the human body. It does not only serve a purpose for drinking, but necessary for plant growth. Up to 78% of our human bodies is water, so we need quite a bit per day to function properly.
- This is the natural pressing out of fruits and vegetables that contribute for Potassium and Vitamin C. But be sure to not over juice considering some juices are richer in sugar than soda.
- The harvesting and processing of animal milk from mainly goats and cows. Other animals used are sheep, horses, and camels. Dairy is a good product for Vitamin D and Calcium.
With all that has been said, when will come the time for us as a group to change our lifestyles. Because if dying at a young age is not good enough then what is good enough. But something has to be done otherwise you will start to see a group’s numbers diminish from poor health choices.
My Personal Website: www.faheemjackson.squarespace.com
Instagram Me: @theefaheemjackson
Twitter Me: @2320howe
Tumblr Me: @fjackson44
Facebook Fan Page: www.facebook.com